Over the Easter weekend, my Synology DS715 quietly updated itself to the new DSM 6.0 firmware. We use the DS715 in our small business (8 users) but it’s also used by many personal home users. Switching my users to the Synology DS715 has proven to be a good move. I backup daily to two Western Digital USB drives which I rotate every other day and get an email each evening once done; not had a problem since I installed it 8 months ago. Needless to say I’m pleased with the product.
First impressions of the DSM 6.0 update
Immediately I can see that the desktop for the Synology DS715 feels somehow cleaner and appears to open apps and options quicker than previously. It should be said that the existing firmware was perfectly adequate but the latest version brings a wave of quality extras and enhancements. These include:
- Btrfs File System
- Service Modularization
- 64-Bit Architecture
- High Availability Manager
- Hyper Backup
- Enhanced Security
- Certificate integration of Let’s Encrypt
- NFS shared folders on folders on Synology NAS
- Aviary photo editor is introduced to replace the existing service for a more intuitive interface.
- Enhanced Content Search
- Enhanced File sharing
- Accessibility for visually impaired users.
- 2-Step Verification
- 802.1X authentication for wired networks.
- Firewall profiles.
- SSD Cache of up to 12 SSD devices.
- Storage Manager (for volumes and Disk Groups or RAID Groups, the number of disks for each RAID Array can be 6, 12 or 24).
- Customised Domain Name for DSM
- Application Portal
- Dynamic DNS Support
- HTTP compression
- HTTP/2 is now supported as an replacement of SPDY to increase the transfer speed for high latency connection.
- DSM mobile new user interface.
The DSM 6.0 update brings some new applications including MailPlus Server (Beta) and Surveillance Station 7.2 – a very cool and advanced security CMS which can control I/O devices and capture camera recording.
The new update also includes ‘SpreadSheet’, a program which allows you to host your collaboration drive and work easily with others by sharing spreadsheets.
Manually updating the Synology DS715 to DSM 6.0
There are some users of the Synology DS715 (and other Synology NAS servers) who will need to manually update their devices. Particular car should be taken by those using phpMyAdmin or using 3rd party applications. Read the release notes here for more information.